Unfortunately, there are many people who choose the wrong company for their moving services needs. This may be because they listened to the advice of a friend or family member who may have gotten lucky. It may be because they didn’t know what questions to ask. It may be because they underestimated the complexity of the moving process.
Whether you need moving services in Fort Wayne, or live somewhere else in the company, we want to help you be certain you’re choosing the best moving company for that big day.
Here are some tips we offer anyone planning a move:
- Do not accept quotes by phone. Make sure to get something in writing.
- Formalize a contract. Any verbal commitment can be broken and there is no record of it.
- Check that the moving company complies with the requirements established by law. A professional moving company should have adequate liability insurance in case something goes wrong.
- Packing. Ask the company planning your move if they offer packing and unpacking services. It is always best to have professionals pack your belongings so you know everything will arrive safe and sound.
Moving companies like Fort Wayne Movers have a system for packing your belongings: cup holders, cupboard boxes, quality bubble wrap. Further, they ensure everything is packed to prevent breaking and damage during the move.
- Dismantling and assembly of furniture. Problems with moving furniture usually don’t take place during disassembly. It is in assembling furniture where you have to be careful.
Make sure all the furniture is properly assembled and, very important, that all the shelves, showcase, shelves, are properly installed and fixed to the wall. There are moving companies that provide this service at no additional cost. Beware of excessively cheap companies. Remember this saying: You get what you pay for.
- Try to choose a company that is part of a regional moving association. These companies usually pass some filters to be registered in these associations, which can give more guarantees.
Before hiring a moving company, consider the following questions. Be specific in your questions to make sure you get the answer you need. We invite you to ask us any of the following questions before hiring us!
Ask for Quotes
There are several aspects that are taken into account within a quote: the distance of the move, the size and weight of the objects; the amount of fragile items, the level of floor where the objects will move, the date of moving, among others.
To make sure you make the right decision, request between 3 and 5 quotes and provide in detail all the information that is required to determine the cost of the move.
Recommendations and Referrals
The social networks of the moving companies are an excellent resource to obtain references. In these online pages you will find comments from clients who have already used their services.
Similarly, you can ask in groups, as well as family and friends about their experiences with other moving services.
Proof of Insurance
Unfortunately, moving companies usually only cover faults that may arise at home and not the loss or damage that your belongings suffer on the road.
Although the moving companies hire cargo insurance that protects them from loss and material damage during the transfer of goods, the coverage for the customer of these is minimal. Therefore, it is important that you acquire insurance that protects your assets outside your home.
In the market there are comprehensive home insurance that protect your assets and belongings regardless of their location.
Read the contract
Before signing, carefully read each of the clauses of the contract and make sure you agree on each one of them. There are companies that usually give you a moving fee and then increase it without clarifying the reasons.
You should verify in the contract in which cases this clause applies and what the extra amount is. Make sure you get a copy of it and take it with you on the day of the move in case of inconvenience.
With contracts, here are some common problems that tend to occur. Be careful not to fall into them:
- The contract and the quote do not specify what the moving service includes.
- There is no clause that specifies the extra cost for certain services.
- The company does not provide information on the insurance and guarantees of the service.
- There is no contract in writing.
- The prices are far below the other companies. If it’s too good to be true, it probably is.
- There has not been a previous visit to the house to establish the final budget.
Lastly, in order to have the best results for your move, planning your move should start six weeks before the selected date. This will give you adequate time to investigate calmly and make the best decision for this great change in your life.